Laura Hout holds a Master of Arts in Psychology (MA), as well as a Master of Professional Writing (MPW) from the University of Southern California. Published widely, she writes frequently about the challenges of living in an obesogenic environment. She developed Beyond Overeating® group workshops to assist men and women struggling with binge eating disorder and weight loss and has held workshops in medical settings as well as health spas.
Binge eating disorder (BED) is the most common eating disorder in the United States. An estimated 30% to 40% of those seeking weight loss treatments can be clinically diagnosed with binge eating disorder. Those with BED are more likely to be of higher weight, but anyone at any weight can struggle with the disorder. BED often co-occurs with mood disorders and addictions.
Along with traditional therapy, Laura draws from "narratives" - the stories of others - via fiction, film and memoir. There is an alchemy in coming together and sharing insights and compassion, in righting and rewriting the legacy of difficult childhoods.
“Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
Treatment Modalities and Training
- Certified TEAM-CBT Therapist – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (developed by David Burns, MD)
- Relational Life Therapy – Couples/Family Systems (developed by Terry Real, LCSW)
- Mindfulness/Self Compassion Core Skills training (developed by Kristin Neff Ph.D and Christopher Germer, MD)
- Narrative Therapy - using psychology, fiction and memoir to help understand your "story"
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist LMFT #85841
- LMFT Registered Intern at community agencies, treatment centers and private practices, including:
- CALM (Child Abuse Listening & Mediation) - 2012 to 2014
- Full Spectrum Recovery & Counseling - 2013 to 2014
- Central Coast Treatment Center - 2012 to 2013
- New Beginnings Counseling Center - 2011 to 2013
- CAMFT – California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists
- SB-CAMFT – California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists (Santa Barbara chapter)
- BEDA – Binge Eating Disorder Association
- PsychAlive.org - Author/Blogger
Awards and Honors
- Magna Cum Laude – California Southern University
- First Place - Fiction - Southern California Writers Conference
- First Place - Womens' Fiction - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Second Place - Mysteries - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences Intern - Writers Assistant
- Writer/Blogger for PsychAlive.org
- Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Response Team
- Using Literature to Assist Trauma Narrative - presented to CALM Clinical staff - 2014
- Clinical Editorial Council - The Therapist - California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists - 2014 to 2017
- Marketing Chair - International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals/Central Coast - 2012 to 2014
- Master of Arts in Psychology – California Southern University, Irvine, CA, January 2012
- Master of Professional Writing – University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, May 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Humanities – Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, May 1985