Laura Hout holds a Master of Arts in Psychology (MA), as well as a Master of Professional Writing (MPW) from the University of Southern California. Published widely, she writes frequently about the challenges of living in an obesogenic environment. She founded Beyond Overeating® group workshops to assist men and women struggling with binge eating disorder and weight loss.
There is alchemy in coming together and sharing insights and compassion - righting and rewriting the legacy of difficult childhoods. Along with traditional therapy, Laura uses "narratives" - the stories of others - to assist clients in their journey. Those who embark on this quest find strength shoulder-to-shoulder, until they are able to walk their own true path.
“Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
Treatment Modalities and Training
- Certified TEAM-CBT Therapist – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (developed by David Burns, MD)
- Relational Life Therapy – Couples/Family Systems (developed by Terry Real, LCSW)
- Mindfulness/Self Compassion Core Skills training (developed by Kristin Neff Ph.D and Christopher Germer, MD)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist LMFT 85841
- LMFT Registered Intern at private practices, community agencies and treatment centers including:
- CALM (Child Abuse Listening & Mediation) - 2012 - 2014
- Full Spectrum Recovery & Counseling - 2013 - 2014
- Central Coast Treatment Center - 2012 - 2013
- New Beginnings Counseling Center - 2011 - 2013
- CAMFT – California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists
- SB-CAMFT – California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists (Santa Barbara chapter)
- BEDA – Binge Eating Disorder Association
- PsychAlive.org - Author/Blogger
Awards and Honors
- Magna Cum Laude – California Southern University
- First Place - Fiction - Southern California Writers Conference
- First Place - Womens' Fiction - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Second Place - Mysteries - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences Intern - Writers Assistant
- Writer/Blogger for PsychAlive.org
- Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Response Team
- Using Literature to Assist Trauma Narrative - presented to CALM Clinical staff - 2014
- Clinical Editorial Council - The Therapist - CAMFT - 2014 - 2017
- Marketing Chair - Central Coast Chapter/International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals - 2012 - 2014
- Master of Arts in Psychology – California Southern University, Irvine, CA, January 2012
- Master of Professional Writing – University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, May 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Humanities – Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ. May 1985