Laura Hout holds a Master of Arts in Psychology (MA), as well as a Master of Professional Writing (MPW) from the University of Southern California. Published widely, she writes frequently about the challenges of living in an obesogenic environment. She founded Beyond Overeating® group workshops to assist men and women struggling with binge eating disorder and weight loss.
There is alchemy in coming together and sharing insights and compassion - righting and rewriting the legacy of difficult childhoods. Along with traditional therapy, Laura uses "narratives" - the stories of others - to assist clients in their journey. Those who embark on this quest find strength shoulder-to-shoulder, sharing stories with others, learning to prevail.
“Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
Treatment Modalities and Training
- Certified TEAM-CBT Therapist – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (developed by David Burns, MD)
- Relational Life Therapy – Couples/Family Systems (developed by Terry Real, LCSW)
- Mindfulness/Self Compassion Core Skills training (developed by Kristin Neff Ph.D and Christopher Germer, MD)
- Narrative Therapy - using psychology, fiction and memoir to help understand your "story"
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist LMFT #85841
- LMFT Registered Intern at community agencies, treatment centers and private practices, including:
- CALM (Child Abuse Listening & Mediation) - 2012 to 2014
- Full Spectrum Recovery & Counseling - 2013 to 2014
- Central Coast Treatment Center - 2012 to 2013
- New Beginnings Counseling Center - 2011 to 2013
- CAMFT – California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists
- SB-CAMFT – California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists (Santa Barbara chapter)
- BEDA – Binge Eating Disorder Association
- PsychAlive.org - Author/Blogger
Awards and Honors
- Magna Cum Laude – California Southern University
- First Place - Fiction - Southern California Writers Conference
- First Place - Womens' Fiction - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Second Place - Mysteries - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences Intern - Writers Assistant
- Writer/Blogger for PsychAlive.org
- Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Response Team
- Using Literature to Assist Trauma Narrative - presented to CALM Clinical staff - 2014
- Clinical Editorial Council - The Therapist - California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists - 2014 to 2017
- Marketing Chair - International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals/Central Coast - 2012 to 2014
- Master of Arts in Psychology – California Southern University, Irvine, CA, January 2012
- Master of Professional Writing – University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, May 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Humanities – Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, May 1985