About Laura Hout
Laura Hout is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who holds a Master of Arts in Psychology as well as a Master of Professional Writing from the University of Southern California. She is a Certified Team-CBT Therapist, developed by Dr. David Burns of Stanford University, to help clients achieve faster results in fewer sessions. In addition, her training includes Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Family Systems, Relational Life Therapy and Mindfulness/Self Compassion.
She's worked as a psychotherapist at eating disorders centers, substance abuse treatment programs and community mental health agencies, helping individuals and couples from all walks of life. At C.A.L.M (Child Abuse Listening & Mediation) she assisted children and families affected by childhood abuse, trauma, addiction, mental illness, domestic violence, divorce and custody issues. Over the years she's facilitated groups such as: Teens Affected by Domestic Violence, Adults Molested as Children, and Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Emotion Regulation. in 2012, she became the first therapist to lead a Compulsive Overeaters' group at a renowned Southern California eating disorders' center.
In response to a lack of awareness about Binge Eating Disorder (BED), Laura created Beyond Overeating® Workshops to help men and women break the binge cycle and live happier, healthier lives. Workshops are lively and interactive, combining lecture, process and skill building. Beyond Overeating® Workshops are held in person and online, and at workplaces, healthcare settings, community agencies, fitness centers and health spas. Dedicated and passionate, Laura is an engaging group leader and outspoken advocate for healthier foods and relationships.
"You cannot win... if you do not play."
~ Steve Forbert, songwriter.
Treatment Modalities and Training
- Certified TEAM-CBT Therapist – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (developed by David Burns, MD)
- Relational Life Therapy – Couples/Relationship Counseling (developed by Terry Real, LCSW)
- Mindfulness/Self Compassion Core Skills training (developed by Kristin Neff PhD and Christopher Germer, MD)
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist - LMFT #6992 (SC) and LMFT #85481 (CA) - 2011 to present
- CALM (Child Abuse Listening & Mediation) - 2012 to 2014
- La Ventana Treatment Programs - 2014
- Full Spectrum Recovery & Counseling - 2013 to 2014
- Central Coast Treatment Center - 2012 to 2013
- New Beginnings Counseling Center - 2011 to 2013
Awards and Honors
- Magna Cum Laude - M.A. in Psychology, California Southern University
- First Place - Fiction - Southern California Writers Conference
- First Place - Women's Fiction - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Second Place - Mysteries - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Writer's Assistant - The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences
- Honorable Mention - Vocal Category - American Song Festival
- Published Writer since 1990
- Consultant/Trainer - "Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" - Ripple of One, Seneca, SC
- Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Response Team, Santa Barbara, CA
- Using Literature to Assist Trauma Narrative - presented to CALM Clinical staff - 2014
- Clinical Editorial Council - The Therapist - California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists - 2014 to 2017
- Marketing Chair - International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals/California Central Coast - 2012 to 2014
- Master of Arts in Psychology – California Southern University, Irvine, CA, January 2012
- Master of Professional Writing – University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, May 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Humanities – Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, May 1985