Laura Hout is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who holds a Master of Arts in Psychology as well as a Master of Professional Writing from the University of Southern California. She is a Certified TEAM-CBT Therapist, an innovative form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy developed by Dr. David Burns of Stanford University. Powerful and precise, TEAM-CBT is designed to help people achieve faster results in fewer sessions. Laura also incorporates principles from couples' counseling modalities like Relational Life Therapy®, as well as Mindfulness and Self-Compassion techniques.
She created Beyond Overeating® Workshops to help men and women break the binge cycle and live happier, healthier lives. Workshops are lively and interactive, combining lecture, process and skill building. Beyond Overeating® Workshops are held both in person and online, as well as workplaces, healthcare settings, community agencies, health spas and fitness centers. Dedicated and passionate, Laura has published articles about the challenges of living in an obesogenic environment — she's an outspoken advocate for healthier foods and relationships.
"You cannot win... if you do not play."
~ Steve Forbert, songwriter.
Treatment Modalities and Training
- Certified TEAM-CBT Therapist – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (developed by David Burns, MD)
- Relational Life Therapy – Couples/Relationship Counseling (developed by Terry Real, LCSW)
- Mindfulness/Self Compassion Core Skills training (developed by Kristin Neff PhD and Christopher Germer, MD)
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist - LMFT #6992 (SC) and LMFT #85481 (CA) - 2011 to present
- CALM (Child Abuse Listening & Mediation) - 2012 to 2014
- Full Spectrum Recovery & Counseling - 2013 to 2014
- Central Coast Treatment Center - 2012 to 2013
- New Beginnings Counseling Center - 2011 to 2013
Awards and Honors
- Magna Cum Laude - M.A. in Psychology, California Southern University
- First Place - Fiction - Southern California Writers Conference
- First Place - Womens' Fiction - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Second Place - Mysteries - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Writer's Assistant - The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences internship
- Honorable Mention - Vocal Category - American Song Festival
- Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Response Team
- Using Literature to Assist Trauma Narrative - presented to CALM Clinical staff - 2014
- Clinical Editorial Council - The Therapist - California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists - 2014 to 2017
- Marketing Chair - International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals/Central Coast - 2012 to 2014
- Master of Arts in Psychology – California Southern University, Irvine, CA, January 2012
- Master of Professional Writing – University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, May 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Humanities – Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, May 1985