Laura Hout is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who holds a Master of Arts in Psychology as well as a Master of Professional Writing from the University of Southern California. She developed Beyond Overeating® group workshops to assist both men and women. She writes frequently about the challenges of living in an obesogenic environment and facilitates Beyond Overeating® workshops in medical settings, community agencies, fitness centers and health spas.
Laura is a Certified TEAM-CBT Therapist, an innovative form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy developed by Dr. David Burns of Stanford University. Powerful and precise, TEAM-CBT is designed to help people achieve faster results in fewer sessions. In addition, she teaches Mindfulness and Self-Compassion techniques, and utilizes Family Systems, Relational Life Therapy and Narrative Therapy as indicated.
Binge eating disorder (BED) is the most common eating disorder in the United States - an estimated 30% to 40% of those seeking weight loss treatments struggle with binge eating. People with BED are more likely to be of higher weight, but anyone at any weight can struggle with the disorder. BED often co-occurs with mood disorders and other addictions.
“We should not judge people by their peak of excellence; but by the distance they have traveled from the point where they started.” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
Treatment Modalities and Training
- Certified TEAM-CBT Therapist – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (developed by David Burns, MD)
- Relational Life Therapy – Couples/Family Systems (developed by Terry Real, LCSW)
- Mindfulness/Self Compassion Core Skills training (developed by Kristin Neff Ph.D and Christopher Germer, MD)
- Narrative Therapy - using psychology, fiction and memoir to help understand your "story"
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist LMFT #85841
- LMFT Registered Intern at community agencies, treatment centers and private practices, including:
- CALM (Child Abuse Listening & Mediation) - 2012 to 2014
- Full Spectrum Recovery & Counseling - 2013 to 2014
- Central Coast Treatment Center - 2012 to 2013
- New Beginnings Counseling Center - 2011 to 2013
Awards and Honors
- Magna Cum Laude – California Southern University
- First Place - Fiction - Southern California Writers Conference
- First Place - Womens' Fiction - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Second Place - Mysteries - Santa Barbara Writers Conference
- Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences Intern - Writers Assistant
- Writer/Blogger for PsychAlive.org
- Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Response Team
- Using Literature to Assist Trauma Narrative - presented to CALM Clinical staff - 2014
- Clinical Editorial Council - The Therapist - California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists - 2014 to 2017
- Marketing Chair - International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals/Central Coast - 2012 to 2014
- Master of Arts in Psychology – California Southern University, Irvine, CA, January 2012
- Master of Professional Writing – University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, May 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Humanities – Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, May 1985